사이트 내 전체검색

테마가 있는 하루

세인트 루이스와 수니 Saint Louis & Sony

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Admin
댓글 0건 조회 11,116회 작성일 19-01-10 06:04

본문

아이티 꽃동네에는 ‘쌍떼'라고 하는 입원 병동이 있다. 남녀가 구별되어 각각 열명씩 입원 치료를 받고 있다. 그들은 대부분 국립 병원 쓰레기장에 버려져 있다가 모셔진 분들이다. 작년에 이곳에서 하지가 마비된 니꼴라를 만났다. 욕창으로 근육과 뼈까지 괴사 되어 드레싱을 교환할때마다 썩은 고기국물 같은 회색의 분비물이 뚝뚝 떨어졌었다. 그리고 그곳에 조나스가 있었다. 열살의 조나스 또한 국립병원 쓰레기장에 버려져 있었다. 눈에서 시작된 암이 온 몸으로 퍼져 이불을 덮고 쓰레기 사이에 버려져 있는 아이를 수도자분들이 이곳으로 데리고 왔었다. 니꼴라와 조나스 모두 하느님께 되돌아 갔다. 조나스는 죽음에 가까워지며 암으로 인한 극심한 통증으로 강한 마약성 진통제가 아니면 잠을 이룰 수 없었고, 마지막 순간까지 고통스럽게 피를 토하며 죽었다고 했다. 어린 아이를 왜 그렇게까지 고통스럽게 데려가셔야 했는지 예수님께 물어야 했다는 요한 수사님의 말 끝에 실린 아픔은 내게도 고스란히 전해지는 것 같았다. “얼굴의 반이 없어요. 눈에 암이 생겨서 그쪽을 수술로 도려 냈대요.” 세인트 루이스 아저씨를 만나기 전 원장 수녀님과 수사님은 그에 대해 그렇게 말씀하셨다. 도착한 다음 날 아침 쌍떼로 갔다. 드레싱을 교환하기 위해 그를 기다리는데, 건물을 돌아 가까이 오는 얼굴의 절반 이상을 붕대로 감은 아저씨가 보였다. 그를 앉히고 테이블에 드레싱 재료들을 셋팅하는데, 간호사가 나에게 빨간 딱지가 붙은 드레싱 볼을 주었다. ‘시다', 그는 에이즈 환자 였다. 원장 수녀님은 에이즈 검사 결과를 기다리고 있지만, 세인트 루이스 스스로 자신을 에이즈 환자라고 했기 때문에 우선 그렇게 분리를 하고 있다고 하셨다. 직원을 통해 통증이 있는지 묻자, 조금 있지만 괜찮다고 했다. 붕대를 풀으려는데 잠시 손이 멎었다. 무엇을 보더라도 어떤 냄새를 맡더라도, 불쾌한 표정이 무의식적으로 얼굴에 나타나지 않게 해달라고 예수님께 부탁드렸다. 붕대를 풀고, 패킹 된 드레싱을 빼고 나니 얼굴의 절반은 텅 비어 있었다. 그의 오른쪽 눈은 적출 되었고, 얼굴의 절반이 깊이 패여 있었다. 머리로 조금만 더 올라간다면 그곳으로 뇌가 빠질 것 같았다. 드레싱을 뺀 자리에서 피가 뚝뚝 떨어졌다. 주사기로 약물을 뿌리며 깊은 곳까지 소독을 한 뒤, 다시 그곳에 드레싱을 채우고, 붕대로 얼굴을 감았다. 파리가 들어가면 알을 까니 꼼꼼이 테이프를 붙여 달라고 아저씨가 말했다. 그 곳에 있는 일주일 동안 그의 통증은 조금씩 심해서 상처 주변 피부에 리도카인 주사를 직접 주입해야 했다. 주사바늘이 피부를 뚫고 약을 주입하는 동안 그는 나의 손을 비틀듯이 세게 잡아 당겼다. 그의 통증 앞에서 나는 아무것도 해 줄 것이 없었다. 그와 나 사이에 있는 무력감 앞에서 나의 슬픔은 깊어져 갔다. 수니 역시 에이즈 환자이다. 하지가 틀어져 마비된 환자로, 좌우 골반에 커다란 욕창이 있었다. 드레싱을 교환할 때마다 분비물이 많고 색깔도 좋지 않았다. 하지만 원장 수녀님은 그가 처음보다 많이 호전된 상태라고 하셨다. 여기저기 욕창이 치유된 자국들이 보였다. 하루는 드레싱을 교환하러 갔는데, 그가 앓는 소리를 내며 무척 고통스러워 했다. 옆에 서 계신 신부님께 물으니 그가 배변 중이라고 하셨다. 나중에 변을 확인하니 변비는 아닌 것 같았다. 변을 볼때마다 그렇게 힘들어 해야 하는 수니가 안쓰러웠다. 하지만 수니는 늘 웃고 있다. 침상으로 가 그의 이름을 부르면, 환한 미소로 반겨 주었다. 서로 언어의 장벽은 있지만, 주고 받는 웃음 뒤로 그리 많은게 필요하지는 않았다. 그를 좌우로 돌리고, 침대를 틀어가며 방향을 잡아 드레싱을 하고, 기저귀를 갈아주면 그는 활짝 웃는 얼굴로 “Merci!” 라며 감사의 인사를 했다. 어느날 아침에는 그를 왼쪽으로 돌려 자세를 잡고 드레싱 교환이 한창인데, 아침식사로 나온 음식을 기다리지 못하고 손으로 먹기 시작했다. 이 와중에도 허기를 느끼고, 맛있게 식사를 하는 그를 바라보자니 문득 감사한 마음이 들었다. 잘 먹어주어서 참 고마웠고, 웃을 수 있는 힘을 내 주어서 그가 좋았다. 내가 아이티를 떠나기 전, 세인트 루이스는 에이즈 확정 판단을 받았다. 원장 수녀님은 검사 결과가 나왔으니 가서 등록을 하고 약을 받아 올거라고 하셨다. 그들의 고통을 바라보며 어쩌면 그들이 우리의 고통을 대신 보속하는 것이라는 생각이 들었다. 그들은 이러한 고통을 감당하기에 마땅한 사람들이 아니다. 어쩌면 우리들도 이러한 삶의 호사로움을 누리기에 마땅한 사람들이 아닐 수도 있다. 누군가 지나친 고통 중에 있다면, 그가 우리의 고통을 대신 짊어지고 걸어가는 예수님이 아닐까. 극심한 통증으로 괴로워 하다가도, 드레싱을 마치고 붕대를 감아 주면 남은 얼굴 반쪽으로 웃으며 악수를 해 주는 세인트 루이스. 그와 수니가 꼭 나으면 좋겠다고 하느님께 말씀드렸다. 꼭 그랬으면 좋겠다고.       세인트 루이스와 수니 - 쌍떼의 예수님_English)   In Haiti Kkottongnae, there are inpatient admission buildings called ‘Sante,’ where ten women and ten men receive treatments in separate buildings. Most of them are there because they were abandoned on a street or in some corner of the National Hospital.   I met Nicola there when I visited Kkottongnae last year. Nicola was a young man who was paralyzed from his waist to his toes. He was tall and had terrible, huge sores on his hips, sacrum, ankles and knees. When he was found by the Kkottongnae missionaries, the sores were already advanced into the muscles, tendons and bones, necrotizing the tissue. A gray-colored discharge dripped from his wounds when I changed the dressing. Also at Sante was Jonas. A ten-year-old boy found between the garbage dumpsters at the National Hospital, Jonas was riddled with cancer. It had started in his left eye and from there spread over his whole body. He was unable to sleep without narcotic pain medicine during the last days of his life. And he died coughing up blood. Br. John said to me that he had asked God why He had to take Jonas in such a painful way. And I could feel his deep sorrow over the boy Jonas’s death. Before I met Saint Louis, another patient at Sante, Sr. Matthias and Br. John told me about him.  “Only half of his face is left,” they said. At the time, I was waiting for him so I could change the dressing on his face. Then I saw a man with much of his face wrapped in white bandages coming around the corner of the building. I asked him to sit in the chair in front of me. As I was about to set the dressing supplies on a table, a nurse brought me a dressing bowl which had red stickers “SIDA” on. The stickers meant that Saint Louis was an AIDS patient. Sr. Matthias said they were still waiting for the final results but that he was put on AIDS precaution based on his own statement. Before I left Kkottongnae, Saint Louis received the final diagnosis of AIDS. Sr. Matthias said that she could now register him with the health department and receive medication for him. Before I unwrapped the bandages covering much of his face, I asked Saint Louis if he was in pain. He said in Creole, “A little, but it’s OK”. Before I began to unwrap his face, I paused just long enough to ask Jesus to help me to not inadvertently show my own discomfort at seeing his ailment. With the bandages removed, I saw that half of his face was gone—only a large hole, oozing and dripping blood, remained where the side of his face had once been. I sprayed saline with a syringe so it would reach deep into the wound. Then I packed the wound with gauze and wrapped that half of his face in bandages. He asked me to tape the edges of the bandages in order to better keep out flies that might be looking for somewhere to lay their eggs. So I did. Saint Louis’s pain got worse with each passing day, so Sr. Matthias began injecting pain medication directly into the skin around the wound. While she did this, Saint Louis held my hand, squeezing and twisting it tightly from the great pain cause by these injections. I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do to ease his pain or help his wound to heal faster. My sorrow for Saint Louis grew deeper and darker.   Sony was also an AIDS patient. His legs were paralyzed, and he had large sores on both hips and ankles. There was a lot of discharge from the sores and they looked very bad. But Sr. Matthias said his sores were slowly getting better. I could see some small white patches on his legs, which indicated new skin from healing. One morning when I walked into Sante, he looked like he was in a great deal of pain. Fr. Thaddaeus said he was defecating. Later, I checked his stool but it was not hard. I felt sorry for Sony having such painful tribulations. But he always kept a smile on his face. And whenever I called his name he replied with a happy grin. There was a language barrier between us, but it did not matter at all. I routinely turned him left and right to change his dressing and diapers. He always said “Merci” with a big smile on his face when I was finished. One morning, I was busy changing Sony’s dressing with him turned onto his left side. Before I finished the task, a nurse brought in a breakfast bowl and left it beside his pillow so he could eat after the dressing was changed. But Sony was so hungry that he started eating with his fingers while I was still changing dressing. I felt grateful that he had a good appetite and liked to eat. I’m sure he will recover from the terrible sores that plague him. In spite of his ailment, Sony was strong enough to keep smiling, even when faced with unwanted and terribly difficult situations in his life.     I watched the pain of these poor souls for seven days. And it seemed so unfair. They didn’t deserve the extreme pain and difficulties that gripped their lives. And I could not help but feel that we may not deserve to possess all the materials and luxuries that they do not have. How, when someone is suffering, is it possible to just walk by and pretend they do not even exist? To me, these poor souls seem to suffer just as Jesus did, carrying a cross and doing penance for us all. During my stay at Kkottongnae, I prayed to God to give His strength Saint Louis and to Sony. And I will continue to pray to God that he might bless them with His mercy so they might have a life without pain.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

Total 45건 1 페이지
테마가 있는 하루 목록
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 날짜
45 최고관리자 1203 01-02
44 최고관리자 1391 10-19
43 최고관리자 1575 09-09
42 최고관리자 1763 06-19
41 최고관리자 1854 04-29
40 최고관리자 1807 04-21
39 최고관리자 1846 04-21
38 최고관리자 1877 04-20
37 최고관리자 1870 04-20
36 최고관리자 3751 03-21
35 최고관리자 3755 03-20
34 마지아 3762 03-04
33 마지아 3776 01-16
32 마지아 3630 01-13
31 최고관리자 3808 01-07
30 마지아 3878 09-20
29 Admin 8522 04-28
28 마지아 15646 12-31
27 마지아 12257 12-19
26 마지아 13490 10-08
25 Admin 8104 02-22
24 마지아 8428 02-22
23 Admin 11246 01-10
열람중 Admin 11117 01-10
21 Admin 10557 01-10
20 Admin 10744 01-10
19 Admin 9793 01-10
18 Admin 8775 01-10
17 마지아 8743 12-31
16 마지아 8593 12-31

검색

아이티 꽃동네 (Haiti_Kkottongnae)

’꽃동네’는 사랑의 결핍 때문에 가정과 사회로부터 버림받아 길가에서 다리 밑에서 아무 말 없이 죽어가는 ’의지할 곳 없고 얻어먹을 수 있는 힘조차 없는’ 분들을 따뜻이 맞아들여 먹여주고 입혀주고 치료해주며, 하느님의 사랑을 알고 살다가 돌아가시면 장례해드리는 데까지 보살펴드리는 사랑과 구원의 공동체입니다.

• 509-3442-9220
  • Rte Nationale #3, Beudet-Meyer, Croix des Bouquets, Haiti
Copyright © haitikkot.org All rights reserved.